For those outside of our classroom walls who follow our blog…this week the students’ assignment is to reflect upon their Quarter 2 learnings. It also got me thinking and reflecting on my teaching and guidance with these 6th graders. So on this day that marks our Winter Break, and in the spirit of the 12 Days of Christmas… here is my list of 12 things to Reflect Upon (and cheer for!) about Room 414:
1) Room 414, you are WRITERS! I am inspired to see your thoughtful, creative, humorous blog posts every week- and excited to see others read your work (Yeah Student Blogging Challenge!) I plan to try as many of the recipes you posted on your blogs during the Break!
2) You are great mathematicians, constantly working towards communicating your thinkings and steps.
3) You’re avid readers that make connections to subjects in class or things out in the “real world”.
4) You are inquisitive! If only we had more time and paper to chart all your curiosities about cells and diseases….
5) You are patient, kind, compassionate and respectful individuals, who rarely complain. When you do, you always try to question authority with respect.
6) You are honest! Edith- only you would point out that a math answer was out in the open during a test!
7) You are a team – you recognize it’s often better to work together to do good, rather than work alone.
8) You have great morale & spirit – I love hearing Patrick’s group chants at the end of PE.
9) You are funny – Kyle makes a great play-by-play reporter (and time-keeper) during our basketball games.
10) I admire your perseverance with yourselves and others, especially when you are frustrated with anything (learning a new concept, getting devices to work, having broken or sprang body parts!…)
11) You’re true friends to each other – you were welcoming when new students arrived, and sad to see others go.
12) Room 414 is moving forward and growing. I hope our quote on the whiteboard continues to inspire you: “Learners are like branches of a tree…we all grow in different directions, yet our roots stay the same.”
As we move forward into 2015, I hope you will continue all these positive things on my list and many more. We want our branches to keep growing and keep getting stronger. Don’t let negative things “infect” and “rot” them. I also want you to make me accountable. Let me know how I can be a better teacher for YOU! Make Camarena your safe place to learn and to never give up!
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!