Welcome to the shortest month of our year, chocked full of things to do!! Here are updates for our class:
Spelling Bee – Last month, each class sent a student to participate in the Camarena School Spelling Bee. We are SOOOO excited to have our own Patrick C. represent our ENTIRE 6th grade as the first place winner!!! He will compete tomorrow, Saturday Feb. 7th in the District Spelling Bee level. It will be at Camarena at 12:00. Come by to support him!
Camp Marston Notes-
1) Thanks to all families for being prompt in sending in your camp dues & slips! We have nearly all of the 6th grade students attending. Students were able to pick their cabin bunk preferences this week, and they will know their roommates once they reach camp. We’ve reminded them that there are no guarantees who they get to bunk with, and the final decision will be made by the teachers.
2) Although I have access to your child’s medical information in the office, please remind me if your child has any allergies or dietary needs which the camp staff should be aware of. We will tell them in advance.
3) Finally, your child may start bringing in any extra money they may want to spend on the camp store. How much they spend is up to you. They are allowed to buy one snack and drink each day, and souvenirs. Prices were listed on the initial packet that went home.
Eastlake Middle School Orientations-
1) Next week, Eastlake Middle will be visiting our campus TWICE during the school day. The first visit will be by the Eastlake Middle Band. They will explain to your child why band may be a good fit for them as an elective. If your child has NO experience with musical instruments, but you’d like for them to try it…may I say this is the PERFECT way to go about it, especially when it’s free! The second presentation will be from the Eastlake Middle school counselors. They will go over in detail about choosing classes for next year. Expect a registration packet to come home with your child which will need to be completed before the end of the month.
2) A separate Parent Orientation is scheduled at Eastlake Middle School on Thursday, Feb. 26 at 6pm. For those students who may be going to a different middle school, you should have received information in the mail describing “next steps.” Please contact the middle schools for clarification, or attend the Parent Orientation for more info. Download the flyer here.
2015-2016 Parent Cover Letter for Course Selection Sheetscopy
Valentine Day Swap – In celebration of Valentines Day, your child may bring in Valentines cards/candies for classmates next Thursday. We have 29 students. I will provide a separate list of first names for them to download on Edmodo. If your child chooses to bring valentines, please do not leave anyone out. They should bring one for EVERY CHILD. This is an optional swap. Please do not send cookies or desserts.
SBAC (Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium) – You may have heard and are wondering, “What IS this??” Last year, your child was exposed to the new state testing methods. This involved using computers rather than paper-pencil scanned test. Last year was purely to get the feel of how the test will be run, and nothing counted. This year, the scores will count. In February, we will take the Practice SBAC test, with the real test coming later in Quarter 4. This practice test will take two days.
Spring Conferences – Already?!! Please save the dates of Thursday March 12-Thursday March 19 as Student-Led Spring Conferences. These will be minimum days. Your child will be reflecting the next several weeks on their reading, writing and math performances this quarter, and will be making a presentation to YOU on their conference date. More info to come.
No school Friday, Feb. 13 & Monday Feb. 16 for Presidents Day Weekend
Thanks for your support!